Monday, October 10, 2011

Dependence

“The most powerful force on earth is the soul set on fire by the love of God.”

Living with my soul on fire must be balanced with complete assurance of Jesus’ mastery of the universe, otherwise I start burning out from thinking it’s up to me to move these mountains that won’t budge!

Dependence on the work of the Holy Spirit, and trust in the promise that all I need is the faith of a tiny mustard seed helps me to work hard without getting discouraged and giving up. The results are really not up to me.

I find it is very challenging to live fully invested in advancing the kingdom of God and at the same time to rest in God’s sovereign control of the outcomes of my efforts, because I want to succeed.

I so want to see my friends come to know the Lord.

I so want to see our church grow.

I so want our church plants to be successful.

I can be working hard. I can be praying and yet see so little movement toward the goals I’ve set. I get frustrated with people when they abandon their part. Usually after the fact, I can tell that I have stopped depending on God and have taken full responsibility to accomplish things on my own. I’ve crossed over the line.

In church, the pastor read the story of Jesus speaking to the waves. The words “Be quiet and still” totally caught my attention. Jesus was speaking them to me: “Luann, be quiet and still.” Yes, Jesus rules the universe. He speaks the words and it will be done. As I opened my heart to his sovereignty, I could sense his peace return. All I am trying to accomplish is his. I can do my part but it is all dependent on him. If these goals are his will, he will make them happen. He just has to say the word.

Caleb is a good example for us. Hold on to God’s promises. Do your part in the waiting. Don’t be afraid. Move forward in full confidence that God the Holy Spirit is there working along with you, alive in your soul. But at the same time, know that God is in control. Allow your soul to be set on fire by the love of God. Live sold out to doing all that you can to further the gospel. Be assured that Jesus is in sovereign control.

Lord, I need to be intentional, think and plan strategically, take my next steps and totally know that your Holy Spirit is at work and will lead the way. I can wait and rest in you. The outcomes are your responsibility. If it doesn’t go as planned, fine. That was your plan. You’re as much interested in how my soul is transformed in all of this, as you are in me accomplishing my goals. I can be passionate every day and be fully at rest, totally dependent and confident in you, Master.
>

No comments: