Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Self-focused

I've journaled my way through C.S. Lewis' Weight of Glory. I thought I'd share some of my reflections here as they have been very helpful to me.

Reflection #1:

We are afraid that we might be too focused on ourselves. Often we start to think that the highest virtue is not thinking about ourselves, not serving ourselves, not being selfish. But there is a fundamental difference between being unselfish and loving.

The negative idea of "unselfish" carries with it the suggestion NOT of primarily securing good things for others, but of going without them ourselves, as if our abstinence and not their happiness was the important point. Self-denial is mentioned a lot in the Bible, but not for the sake of itself. We are told to deny our self and take up our cross so that we can follow Christ, and live a life of love. God commands us to love.
>

No comments: