Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Eyes on our Destination


Please pray for Betsy as she's battling with cancer. She writes: It's not too late for the miracle, but I Pet 5:10, which the Lord high-lighted for me this week, kinda leads me to believe that it's going to be a journey through chemo, rather than around it.

The only reason I can figure out is to encourage someone else. Jesus left glory, learned obedience through what He suffered, paid the ultimate price ( not even for His own well-being, but for ours). Actually if you'd like to take the route He took me through in my quiet time this morning, here it is: Ps 27:13,14; all of Ps.31; I Pet 4;12,19; I Pet5:6,7,10; Is 43:1-3a

If you come across other Scriptures or if you get an encouraging word from the Lord, I'd love to hear it.

My friend, and many of yours,Vikki, described to me what a kayak-er does as she comes upon white-water and rapids. She back-paddles for a few moments at the top of the rapids, scoping out the safest route through the course and the destination she wants to reach. She explained that if you keep your eyes on the white water, the eddies, the rocks, namely, the thing you fear, you'll go there every time. If you keep your eyes on your destination, you'll go there every time.

This graphic visual has been helping me take captive fearful thoughts. I know they won't help me if I think too long about them. Fear takes on a life of its own, and I usually lose if I let worries and fears go un-checked. Instead as I keep my eyes on Jesus, on the promises, on future good health and peaceful waters, I am able to stay calm and hopeful. Jesus did this too. Heb 12 tells us He endured the Cross, despising the shame, all because of the joy set before Him ( that would be us and Heaven and fellowship again with His Father ). So I'm copying Him! Or at least trying!

Thanks so much for being on the journey with me. It is strengthening to me in a very real way to know I'm not on this path alone.
>

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This year has been a real whopper -- Willard write about the golden triangle of spiritual formation. The first part is the work that the Spirit does within us, the second part is the work that we do when we intentionally engage in devotional practices (reflection, journaling, study, fellowship, silence, solitude, prayer, fasting, etc.). And the third part is our circumstances -- the things that He allows into our lives to help shape us. All three work together to form a character that is increasingly more and more like Christ. I'd say that you and Lance must be getting to at least somewhere close to sainthood as the Lord is definitely at work in your lives, you're doing your part, and you're going through such difficult major life struggles this year. I prefer to think of these times as the golden triangle -- rather than the "perfect storm." (James 1, Psalm 61, 62, 63)