Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fasting

It's interesting to me that I find so much value in silence and solitude but only once a year or so fast...and I never fast at the Springs. In fact, I always find that I want to snack all of the time at the Springs. We laugh about chocolate being an essential part of spiritual retreating, but it's so nice to have a hot cup of coffee in the morning and good food. Maybe I should try fasting.

Willard talks about the purpose of fasting is so that "we may consciously experience the direct sustenance of God to our body and our whole person."

He says: Fasting is feasting. When we have learned to fast it will bring strength and joy, we won't be miserable (which is why Jesus told us not to look miserable--Jesus doesn't ever tell us to fake it). Fasting is a way of seeking and finding the actual Kingdom of God present and active in our lives. Fasting can give us a deeper sense of dependency and closeness to the Lord.

Maybe I should try fasting at the Springs sometime.
>

No comments: